Monday, January 6, 2014

Introduction

My name is Katie Montgomery and I am a senior at CSUEB. I will be graduating with my degree in Hospitality Management in June 2014 (hopefully). I currently utilize my pending education on a full time basis working as a Sales and Event Manager at a local golf club, specializing in weddings and events. I enjoy spending my limited free time outdoors with my greyhound-pointer mix Luna and watching HBO or Showtime Network. I live in Pleasanton, California and love suburbia-I'm no city girl by any means.

I have always been interested in history, particularly American history. I was at one point a declared history major in junior college and took every single history course that the school had to offer. I ended up changing careers, realizing that I wasn't partial to spending nearly a decade in academia to earn the necessary credentials to become a true historical scholar, so here I am planning events and reading every single American historical non-fiction book I can get my hands on. I love how much history relates directly into society today and how we can really examine the effects it still has on our world. I would say my favorite time period is Post-Great Depression-Cold War (quite the span, but it's hard to narrow down). My favorite president is FDR, but for my own romantic tendencies I also love JFK.
Apart from my favorite men in history, there is so many women behind the names and faces that gain the most exposure in regards to American history. Shirley Chisholm is by far my favorite, most under recognized female leader in American history. I hope we get to learn more about her and other leaders that played a significant female role in social and political movements throughout American society.

I am absolutely passionate about history, women's rights, and the progress we have made as a group over the past 150 years. I am excited to share ideas and expand my knowledge with this class!

2 comments:

  1. I like the stories of the First Ladies as much as the Presidents! Welcome to the course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    Your interests and passion for history inspires me. I wish I had that much passion for such a subject. Its just alot of information to memorize, but I do find it interesting. I particularly took this class because I want to learn more about Women History and how they were able to change the way women are viewed in society. Hopefully I get to learn more from you.

    ReplyDelete